Friday 10 July 2015

The Selection review

Book: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Rating: 4*
Blurb: For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
 

My Thoughts

I have to say, I was really pleasantly impressed by this book. Yeah, the dress on the cover is absolutely gorgeous, but aside from that it sounded really stupid. But then everyone started raving about the series, so I had to give it a try really, and when I found it cheap it seemed like a perfect time, then happened to coincide quite nicely with a reading challenge.

I've never really been into reality TV, but it was made to be such a fun and enjoyable book that the time flew by while I was reading it. I wanted to know who was leaving, and even found myself cheering along for certain characters, and really despising others. Maxon himself was a really interesting character, but then I also really love Aspen, so I really don't know who I want her to end up with, even though it's already pretty obvious who she will marry.

America herself was a complete surprise. I've spent all the time since this book came out hearing from everyone how selfish and annoying she is, but I found her to be the complete opposite. Everything she does is for her family, and in the beginning Aspen, and yes, sometimes she does and says the wrong thing, but on the whole, she was selfless, kind and a real loveable, down to earth character and I really liked her.

I will definitely be reading on in this series, the titles themselves are slight spoilers, but I want to know how everything gets to the point. 

1 comment:

  1. The Selection is one of my favorite series! I really like America, as she stayed there for her family. Glad you enjoyed it, and great review :)

    ReplyDelete